It’s the beginning of the new year and it is time for predictions. We do love predictions, but why? We want to know what is going to happen and we sure do feel good if we have a sense that we are in the know. Knowing what is going to happen gives us as humans a sense of safety and control which calms are nervous system and quenches our thirst for security while giving us permission to take calculated risks. We all feel more brave when all is going great. Turn on the TV this time of year and all kinds of people are giving their predictions. Mostly, these predictions get right at the heart of our concerns and our fears- the what ifs? What if the economy tanks? What if something happens in the world to cause problems? What if the stock market drops? These fears lead to us searching for predictions that address these questions. Want to know what the market will do in 2018? Stay tuned to hear from our experts. Sound familiar? Nothing sells like fear and the greatest marketers and program managers in print, digital and video media know this fact and use it to get you to watch, read, forward, share, post, retweet and like. The title of this article offers a playful nod to this marketing strategy.
I want to share with you a more useful guide for predictions this new year; one that you can use to help support your success, growth and learning. Here are my top 20 predictions!
- You will be faced with great opportunities.
- You will be faced with great challenges.
- What you focus on and practice, will continue to persist in your life. Practice setting goals and you will have more goal setting happen. Practice resisting and you will become a master resister.
- People will surprise you this year.
- You will experience great victories.
- You will be faced with unforeseen losses.
- Your health will follow your habits
- Your growth and success will follow your ability to challenge yourself
- Your attitude will matter more than your talent
- Your year will be more about the decisions that you make from the chances that occur. “Chance then choice (thank you Esther Perell).
- Your thinking about your situation will impact your life and the choices that you make.
- To the extent that you are willing to take risk, you will create opportunities.
- How you spend your time will determine your priorities.
- Along the way, you will need the help of others in order to achieve what you want to achieve
- People will benefit greatly from your help and support.
- Fear and worry will guide your decisions, (and eat at your stomach) if you let them.
- Some people will enter your life and others will leave it.
- You will be overtaken by moments of joy
- You will endure moments of pain
- You will find love in unexpected places.
I can almost guarantee these 20 predictions. They are not based on fear or coercion. Life is unpredictable in so many ways. I once heard a wonderful saying. Life is like a wet bar of soap. If you try and grip it too tightly or too loosely, then it can slip out of your hand. Hold it, but hold it lightly. Work toward your vision and goals every day. Be open to a change of plans that can temporarily knock of you off course. Celebrate the wins. Offer sorrow for your losses. And while you are lucky enough to be on this planet, keep moving along on your path offering the universe your full engagement along the way.
Thank you for reading. I always welcome your comments as they bring me great joy. I am sending you all supportive energy for a tremendous year full of all that life has to offer and all of the success that you can handle.
your coach, fan and friend.
Larysa Slobodian, MA
Principal Consultant & Executive Coach